Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Stem Cell Research- Pro and Cons

Photobucket


The controversy of Stem Cell Research lies in the ethics of the method- do scientists have the right to experiment with life? Does victory in science justify the cost of human life?

Photobucket


Well, this is one debate which I do not have a decisive opinion on. I believe that every life is sacred, and to experiment with human embryos does not truly sit still with me. ( In the research, human embryos are taken right after conception – typically within two weeks from a woman’s uterus. ) However, I’d be lying if I were to say that I am not thankful for the victory in stem cell research- since it has affected me personally.


As a daughter of a cancer patient- I see the pain, the fear, the day to day struggles and aches my father has to endure. It’s because of the care of good doctors, his faith in religion and ironically his belief in science and medicine that my father has been ( knock on wood) doing well. When my father learned of his cancer, he was anxious and scared ( to say the least). 2008 was the second time his cancer came back; and he didn’t understand it- he was so cautious with his sickness the first time. He ate well; he was on his macrobiotic diet, and he always meditated- he tried to be stress free ( as much as he can).


After doctors saw the rapid dispersion of cancer in his body, they had to take action fast. He was in a serious and dangerous state, they said- since he also has Hepatitis -which was counteracting his cancer. Doctors proposed that he get a bone marrow transplant- I don’t think I’ve ever seen my dad so fragile. The breakthrough of bone marrow transplantation is due to stem cell research. Bone marrow transplants treat a lot of blood inherited diseases- such as leukemia, lymphoma. My father has lymphoma cancer.


Stem Cell Research to me was more than just science- it was beyond politics or religion- it was about family. As appreciative I am for the research, I can’t help but think if scientists are playing the role of God by taking human embryos and slicing, splitting, growing and replacing chemicals or viruses within these embryos.


Photobucket

Pros and Cons – breakthrough for science vs. another nuclear explosion ( CLONING)?

I’ve blatantly stated the pros of Stem Cell Research- we COULD possibly find the roots and the causes of other diseases like, Parkinson, heart disease, etc. However, how are scientists going to use this knowledge? Should we question the methods on the way human embryos are used in the research? Even though this research is ultimately to benefit mankind, many have argued that stem cell research can lead to the cloning of human beings which can be devastating and dangerous.


So...what are your thoughts? Which side do you value?

No comments: