Sunday, May 31, 2009

REINCARNATION

Life is short. When it’s over, what happens? Buddhists and Hindus believe that one’s soul lives on through reincarnation- where one is reborn again in another body. ABC News reported that Buddhists and Hindus are no longer the only people who believe in reincarnation; today one out of four Christians and Jews say they believe in rebirth.


Science and Reincarnation:

Photobucket

The Dalai Lama once said; "If science can disprove reincarnation, Tibetan Buddhism would abandon reincarnation... but it's going to be mighty hard to disprove reincarnation."

One of Buddhism’s central belief is Karma- you get what you deserve- which in essence is scientific-cause and effect. I think of Buddhism to be very scientific like, and so could I compare the theory of reincarnation to Science?

Photobucket


Well, Einstein said that “ Energy cannot be created or destroyed and for every action there is an equal or opposite reaction.” If our souls are energy, then according to this law, we can never be destroyed. The law of Conservation of Energy believes that energy can only change form. Meaning in reincarnation talk, our souls can change into body forms.

I was telling my friend Cali about Physics and Reincarnation; and she thought that the theory of reincarnation and physics made sense. Then she gets really enthusiastic and tells me about the spoon in her hand. If it were melted, she said, it would still be the spoon…but in a different form. If it were frozen, or heated up- it would be different forms of the same spoon. ( You gotta love High School Physics.) Our energy- our souls will live on, in different types or forms. We’ll be different people or such- maybe grasp new different personalities, but we’d still carry on bits and pieces of the persons we are today to our next lives and so on.

Some of you are shaking your head, saying, “ Who is this girl, and what in the world, ( or perhaps) WHAT IN THE UNIVERSE IS SHE TALKING ABOUT?!?!” Well, the universe is funny, and life’s even crazier to imagine. The afterlife…must then be even crazier to imagine. We’ve been trained to think of one thing- life in this world ( meaning…making money and having fun) and we’re not too keen on spirituality really. (Maybe that’s what the Eastern world has beaten us on- spirituality, while the Western world conquers in technology and capitalism. ) So widen your perspectives and don’t be too provincial, go read up on reincarnation and maybe it’ll change your old way of thinking.


Here’s how I think of it: I’ve grown up believing in the idea of reincarnation my whole life. Spiritual by nature, my goal is not to try to find out the truth of my past lives but to live this present one in good faith and with good karma.


So the good news: I guess time isn’t so limited after all, our souls are immortal… believe it or not.



Photobucket

3 comments:

Laura said...

Hey Kayelin, I totally get it. I've written a book about my spiritual awakening with a famous rock band, and explore some possible past lives with them. I had a chapter on quantum physics and spirituality, but edited it out and put it on my website instead. Let me know if you'd like a PDF or copy of the book. You might find it really interesting. www.soundofyoursoul.com
laura@soundofyoursoul.com

Trish said...

Wow. I really like this one Kayelin. I am a total believer of reincarnation and "the past life". I too, am spiritual by nature. =) In this world of modern technology and consumerism, I think it's extremely important to have balance. Thank you for this post!

Kim said...

I am buddhist. I attempt to live my life each day in a very simple straightforward way. Your blog is simple and truthful. I enjoyed the message of it all.